Sunday 6 November 2011

Juno And The Paycock Review.

On Wednesday the 19th of October the Transition Year students of St. Wolstan's Community School hopped on board two buses to go see the latest production of Juno and the Paycock at the Abbey Theatre.
Overall the standard of acting was excellent in the play especially in the case of Mrs Madigan. I loved her character in the play and I was delighted that she was given a bigger part on stage. She succeeded in creating a happy atmosphere in Act 2 when all around her was grief and political unrest. 
"Juno I have never seen you in betther form."
However I was slightly disappointed by the character of Juno who I felt was very good up until she was told her son had died. While her lines were very moving I didn't feel that how she portrayed her grief was very realistic. In my opinion she could have just been told that her dog had just run away instead of learning that her son had lost his life.
"Blessed Virgin, where were you when me darlin' son was riddled with bullets"
The set was incredible. Sitting in the Abbey Theatre I felt as if I ad just entered the tenement flat occupied by the Boyle family in 1920's Dublin. The set was very realistic, everything down to the smell of the sausage sizzling in the pan was accounted for. I feel there is great credit due to the set designers who did such an amazing job. I loved the contrast between the bare and boring tenement flat before the Boyle's received news of the money and the same flat after it had received it's luxurious transformation.
"Put on the gramophone, for God's sake, an' stop Joxer's bawlin'."
Throughout the play many themes were highlighted. In my opinion money and lack of it is the biggest and most important one of all. There was a huge difference in the peoples attitudes towards the Boyle family before and after the money. The drastic change can even be seen in the 'Captain' who suddenly wears suits instead of moleskin trousers. They are treated with more respect until everyone finds out there is no money coming. 
"Ever since the Will was passed I've run hundhreds o' dockyments through me hans"
From the play I feel Séan O Casey's overall vision of the world is very negative. He does not give any of his characters a happy ending. In my opinion there isn't much hope left at the end of the play. It is very dark, depressing and negative but I feel that he is also a realist and happy ever afters were not common in the tenements in 1920's Dublin. 
"The whole counthry's in a state o' chassis."
Therefore I conclude that Juno and the Paycock in the Abbey Theatre was an unforgettable experience that I really enjoyed. I was very impressed by the acting and the set. I was fascinated by the themes and now understand Séan O Casey's vision and viewpoint of the world.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, your review is tremendous!! One of the best one's I have ever seen! I loved reading the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kailee!!
    I really appriciate it :)

    ReplyDelete